Thursday, August 16, 2012

NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES



  Holy shit, Blog thing!

  I've heard of lucid dreaming, but I never thought I'd ever experience it. It was so fucking vivid! And creepy... there was that...

   Anyway, I went to bed at a decent time and I figure I must have conked out pretty quick. Suddenly I'm having this dream.... I'm in bed, and I just get this feeling that something's outside, so I flip over on to my stomach and perch my arms and head up on the window sill. Sure enough I see somebody standing down on the sidewalk. Everything is so real at this point. I mean I can feel the cool breeze on my face from the open window, I can smell the faint hint of dust on the window screen, I can hear the sounds of the night... except crickets.... actually the only sound I could hear was the sounds from the road running by the apartment complex and the interstate on the other side of town... that is weird, I couldn't hear any wildlife at all... oh well, it's a dream.

   Anyway, I'm looking down at this guy. I can't make out any details because he's backlit by the street lights, but I can tell that he's bald and appears to be wearing a dark suit. He's looking in my direction and something's telling me that he's looking right at me. He then stretches out his arms like he's waiting for a hug. This is the part where I realize it's a dream. His arms are impossibly long, like that scene in A Nightmare on Elm Street. Like each arm is easily 6 feet, and then I notice that it's not just his arms, and it's not the way it was... what I mean is this guy... he's stretching. As I'm watching, his legs and his torso are becoming just as long as his arms.

   He's down there stretching out his arms for a great big hug and his movements are strange. I mean he's smooth and fluid and graceful in his movements, but it's like there's something going on there that I'm not seeing.

   It reminded me of those Ray Harryhousen movies with the stop action monsters that they film by taking a picture of the puppet, then going in and moving it just a fraction and taking another shot. On the finished film you've got a fully animated character, but your eye can pick up that slight jerk that gives away everything that was going on between the frames.

   This was like that, but different. I mean his movements were perfectly smooth... no jerkiness at all, but it's like my mind was picking up that there was more going on than my eyes were seeing, and it wasn't hidden hands coming in and moving this guy between the frames, it was this guy's hands reaching out and manipulating other things between the frames.

   And I'm thinking all of this in the middle of this dream and I'm getting freaked right the fuck out. I'm right in the middle of thinking what a fucked up dream this is and then I wake up... to sunshine.

   Somehow I've managed to sleep through to sunrise, and might have slept longer if that damed bird hadn't been chirping in my face...

   Yeah, that's the kicker. I woke up in the exact position I was in my dream. Perched up in the window with my nose touching the screen.


1 comment: